Food Lovers Weekend ~ Spain
Seattle’s drizzly month of March is the perfect time for a culinary tour of sunny Spain without the jet lag! Join us at the Hot Stove Society as we explore the gastronomic treasures of this great cuisine, which has been shaped by a long history of invasions: Greek, Roman, Celtic, and Moorish. Spanish food honors its old traditions, while embracing the modern and new.
Some of the topics to be deliciously studied may include:
· Tapas culture- a myriad of small dishes including tempting albondigas, classic tortilla Española (or potato omelet), and crisply fried croquetas
· Paella- perhaps the most famous and best loved dish of Spain, traditionally made with chicken and rabbit or with seafood, and, of course, with the correct variety of Spanish-grown rice
· Melt-in-your-mouth jamón and spicy chorizo
· Pristine octopus, shrimp, clams, scallops, cod, and other seafood, which in Spain come from the rough Galician coastline or from the fishing boats of coastal Barcelona
· Silky smooth gazpacho, a chilled soup of ripe tomatoes, bread,and olive oil from Andalucia
· Spain is one of the largest wine producing nations in the world, so there’s plenty to get excited about from the pleasure of a crisp Albariño to the spice and cherry of a Rioja
· Sherry (Jerez)- lovely fortified wines backed by centuries of Spanish tradition and history
· Wonderful Spanish cheeses such as Manchego and Cabrales
· Hot, fried and sugared churros dipped in thick chocolate
Each day is packed with delicious, informative culinary fun: back to back demos, substantial tastes of everything plus exciting beverage pairings and loads of super cool stuff to make and take. A rough outline of your three-day weekend in Seattle looks like this: (Note that times are approximate)
Fridaynight reception, 5 to 9pm:
· Cocktails, Appetizers, and Welcome
· Demos and Hands-on
Saturday, 9am to 5pm:
· Breakfast is served at 9am
· All day: demos, tastes, beverage pairings, hands-on work, cook-a-longs, and make-and-take
· Seattle is yours to explore in the evening!
Sunday, 9am to 5pm:
· Breakfast is served at 9 am
· All day: demos, tastes, beverage pairings, hands-on work,cook-a-longs, and make-and-take
· Farewell Toast at 5pm
Our Food Lovers Weekends will be held at James Beard Award Winner Tom Douglas’ cooking school, Hot Stove Society. Sessions include cooking demonstrations by our talented Tom Douglas Restaurants Chef Team and special guests plus wine tastings and hands-on cooking technique classes.
Hot Stove Society is located inside downtown’s stylish Hotel Ändra on 4th and Virgina. In addition to being in the center of our restaurant campus, it is also a great starting point for walks to the Pike Place Market, Seattle Art Museum, and several beautiful downtown neighborhoods. Your visit to Seattle will truly be enhanced by Hotel Ändra’s swanky urban accommodations. Within the “Food Lovers Weekend” registration confirmation, you will find a link for discounted room rates that we’re offering all participants.
Nomatter the season, if you are a food lover and want to savor the culinary mecca of the Pacific Northwest in a surprising, enlightening and delightful way, we have the perfect weekend for you!
Each Food Lovers Weekend costs $995 per person and includes all food, wine and fees for the scheduled events of that weekend. Travel and hotel accommodations are not included. Discounted rates with hotel partner, Hotel Ändra, are available for those who are interested.
if you have a question about the Food Lovers Weekend Series, please contact [email protected]
Your three day culinary weekend will include a Friday night reception (5pm to 9pm), with demos and cooking classes on Saturday (9am to 5pm) and Sunday (9am to 5pm.)
Sessions include cooking demonstrations by our talented by Chefs Tom Douglas, Eric Tanaka, Chris Schwarz, Bridget Charters, Tori Mann, Doug Watkins, Michael Kessler with Plaza del Toro PDX, Culinary Collective, Catalan Food with cookbook author Caroline Wright and many more to come plus wine, cocktail and beer pairings and hands-on cooking technique classes.