A Tom Douglas® Recipe
Makes 6 servings
For the cornbread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ‘Rub with Love’ Veggie Rub (reserving 1 tablespoon for baking)
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup grated jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus a little more for buttering pan
For the pudding:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter plus a little more for buttering pan
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- ¾ cup grated dry jack cheese (or substitute regular jack or sharp cheddar)
- 2 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2¼ cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make the cornbread, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Butter an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons ‘Rub with Love’ Veggie Rub, cornmeal, cheese, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and stir into the mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of ‘Rub with Love’ Veggie Rub
- Place in oven and bake about 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into 1’’ cubes
- You should have about 8 cups of cornbread cubes, but you only need one third of the cornbread cubes (about 2-2/3 cups) for this recipe. (Note: freeze the extra cornbread for future batches of pudding).
- To make the cornbread pudding, lower the oven temperature to 350º F.
- Put the 2 2/3 cups of cornbread cubes in a buttered 8x8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a sauté pan on low heat and very slowly sauté the onions until soft and golden brown, at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Scatter the onions, cheese, and herbs over the cornbread cubes.
- Whisk together the cream and eggs with the salt and pepper and pour over the pan of cornbread cubes.
- Let sit 10 minutes so the cornbread cubes absorb some of the custard.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve warm.