EXOTIC MUSHROOM CONGEE
A Tom Douglas® Recipe
- 1/2 cup Niko Niko Rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2+ teaspoons 'Rub with Love' Exotic Mushroom Rub
- 10 slices of dried mushroom
- 5 slices of fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons leeks, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili crisp (we love Kari Kari garlic chili crisp)
- 1 package hon shimeji mushrooms
- 2-4 teaspoons fried shallots, for garnish
- Green onion, chopped for garnish
- 4 sprigs of cilantro, for garnish
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Frozen Chinese Doughnut
- Heat leeks, ginger, and hon shimeji mushrooms in medium sized pot over medium heat until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Add water, dried mushrooms, and Exotic Mushroom Rub to the pot, giving the pot a good stir.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove dried mushrooms from the pot and transfer to a bowl. You will be using the dried mushrooms for your sauce later.
- Add rice to medium sized pot, then turn heat down to a medium-low, keeping a low simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Texture should be like a porridge.
- Uncover pot, season with salt and pepper. Do not over season your congee since you will be adding condiments and toppings.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, add more water if congee since you will be adding condiments and toppings.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, add more water if congee looks too thick.
Make the Sauce:
- In the small bowl with the dried mushrooms, add 2 tablespoons chili crisp, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons black vinegar. Stir and set aside.
Serving the Congee:
- Pour congee into serving bowls.
- Garnish congee with sauce, sprinkle with Exotic Mushroom Rub, sprig of cilantro, chopped green onion and fried shallots.
- Serve with heated Chinese Doughnut.