A Tom Douglas® Recipe
Lox and Bagels
- 1 pound side of Bristol Bay Sockeye Salmon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of 'Rub with Love' Veggie Rub
- zest of 1 lemon
- sprigs of fresh dill, for garnish
- Tillamook Farm style Cream Cheese
- 6 Bagels or slices of seeded whole grain bread
- Measure kosher salt, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and Rub with Love and mix in a small bowl.
- Place salmon side, skin side down, onto a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Cover salmon side with the salt, sugar, and rub mixture.
- Rub mixture on salmon side.
- Wrap salmon with another piece of plastic wrap and tightly secure.
- Place wrapped salmon on a baking sheet or baking dish and place in refrigerator.
- Refrigerate and leave it to cure for 24 hours.
- When ready, remove from wrap, shake off as much of the sugar and salt mix as possible.
- Pour away any liquid and do a quick rinse. Making sure not to use too much water.
- Pat dry.
- Place salmon side on cutting board.
- Slice salmon thinly, starting from the tail end and slice paper thin.
- Lightly toast either bagel or sliced seeded bread.
- Spread Tillamook Cream Cheese on bagel or seeded bread.
- Gently place thinly sliced salmon on cream cheese.
- Sprinkle salmon with sprigs of fresh dill and lemon zest.
- Sprinkle with a touch more Rub with Love.