TOM'S MOM'S CRAB DIP
A Tom Douglas® Recipe
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 tablespoon seeded and minced sweet red cherry pepper (from a jar of vinegar packed sweet cherry peppers)
- 2 teaspoons 'Rub with Love' Crab Cake Mix, or more to taste
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh Dungeness crabmeat, picked over for bits of shell and cartilage with claw meat and large pieces of crab left whole
- Potato chips
- Grate the zest from the lemon, measuring out 2 teaspoons.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze, measuring out 1 tablespoon of juice and removing any seeds. (Reserve the rest of the lemon for seasoning the dip with more juice later.)
- Put the lemon zest and juice in a large bowl, add the tomato paste and honey, and whisk together until smooth.
- Whisk in the mayonnaise, chives, cherry pepper, and Rub with Love Crab Cake Mix. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the egg.
- Add the crabmeat to the bowl and toss it with the dressing.
- Season to taste with more Crab Cake Mix and more lemon juice if needed.
- Set a bowl of crab dip on a large platter and surround it with potato chips for dipping.